Professor Shridhar Sharma
M.D., F.R.C. Psy (Lond.), D.P.M., FRANZCP (Australia), F.A.M.S.
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS
1. Psychosomatic Medicine in General Practice (English edition), MBD, New Delhi, 1999 – Editor
2. Law, Ethics and Psychiatry. Edited. Ministry of Health & WHO, IHBAS, New Delhi, 1999
3. Behavioral and Social Research on Injection Drug Abuse & HIV. Prevention ‘Indo-USA Symposium,’ New Delhi, 1997
4. Essential Psychiatry- Interprint, New Delhi, 1998
5. Mental Hospitals in India, IHBAS, New Delhi, 1996
6. Quality of Working Environment and its impact on Health and Behavior of Agricultural Scientists, IHBAS, New Delhi, 1994
7. Mental Hospitals in India, D.G.H.S., New Delhi, 1989
8. Psychiatry in Primary Health Care, C.I.P Ranchi, 1986
9. Rural Mental Health (Ed.) – Indian Psychiatric Society – PANAJI, 1976
10. Psychiatry in Relation to General Practice, I.P.S., GMC, Panaji, 1971
11. Community Psychiatry (Ed.)- M.S. Univ., BARODA, 1968
Major Project Reports related to Institute Development in India-
1. Institute of Psychiatry and Human Behaviour, Goa, 1981- Govt. of Goa
2. Central Institute of Psychiatry, Ranchi, 1982- under Govt. of India
3. Indira Gandhi Post-Graduate Institute (AIIMS) in North East at Shillong, 1992, under Ministry of Health, Government of India
4. B.P. Koirala Medical Sciences, Dharan, Nepal – set up under Indo-Nepal agreement, 1992
5. Institute of Human Behaviour & Allied Sciences, Delhi - Govt. of NCT of Delhi, 1993
6. LGB Institute of Mental Health, Tezpur, 2000, under Government of India
Chapters to books/ monographs-
1. (2014) Self Identity and Culture in Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Consciousness and the Self. Edited by Sangeetha Menon, Anindya Sinha and B.V. Sreekantan. Published by Springer, New Delhi. Heidelberg, 2014, page 117-126.
2. (2013) Understanding the Relationship between Religiousness, Spirituality and Positive Psychology in Spirituality and Positive Psychology (2013) Editor Nilanjana Sanyal, Ramkrishna Mission Institute of Culture, page 121-140.
3. (2013) Foreword to book on “Positive Psychotherapy in Psychosomatic Medicine” by Nossrat Peseschkian by Print City, Germany, 2013.
4. (2011) Understanding the Meaning of Spirituality in New Facets of Positivism. MacMillan Publishers, India, Delhi Edited by Ashok Chauhan & S.S. Nathawat, page 48-57
5. (2004) Reminiscences and Reflections on the Growth of Psychopharmacology in India in “The History of Psychopharmacology and the CVINP Animula Publishing House, Buda Pest, Hungary
6. (2003) Sleep Disorders in API Text Book of Medicine, 7th Edition, page791-796.
7. (1999) Sleep Disorder in API Text Book of Medicine, 6th Association of Physician of India
8. (1996) Medical Education in India. In medical education in South-East Asia, WHO-SEARO, New Delhi
9. (1995) Mental Health Service Systems in developing World of Social Psychiatry in Paris, March 95.
10. (1994) Human Rights and Mental Illness in proceeding of the World Congress on Penitentiary Health care and Treatment of Offenders, Tokyo.
11. (1994) The Need to Promote Communication between Legal and Mental Health Systems in proceeding of the World Congress on Penitentiary Health Care and Treatment of Offenders, Tokyo.
12. (1994) Screening and Measuring Degree of Psychological stress in Antarctica in Proceeding of Selected Papers of IX World congress of Psychiatry. Edited by Beigal, Allan, Tuscon. U.S.A.
13. (1994) Urban Violence in India in Proceedings of Selected Papers of IX World Congress of Psychiatry. Edited by Beigal, Allan, Tuscon. U.S.A.
14. (1994) History & Development of Mental Health Services in India, in International Mental & Behavioral Health edited Eisenberg Leo, etc. Harvard Medical School, Boston., U.S.A. (A status paper).
15. (1994) Medical Education in India, Sharma S & Kacker S.K. in An International Hand Book on Medical Education, Green Book Publishing Group Westport. Chicago.
16. (1993) Mental Health and quality of Life, in Science and quality of Life, edited S.Z. QASIM, Indian Science Congress, Calcutta.
17. (1993) Changing scene of Mental Health Service Systems & Practices in Proceeding of International Symposium on the new perspectives of Community Based Mental Health Services, TOKYO.
18. (1992) National Drug Dependence Control Programme in India – In Facets of Substance Abuse in India, An Update, Edited Kumar, K.A. Trivandrum.
19. (1992) Psychosocial Environment and Related Problems, in Social Psychiatry in the Late Twentieth Century, LEGAS, WASHINGTON. Edited by Sorel, Eliot.
20. (1992) India: Psychiatry, Spirituality and Politics, in Social Psychiatry & World Accords. Editor: Masserman J.H. Int. University Press, Madison U.S.A.
21. (1990) The Envious Lover in Therapeutic Wars - Contention and Convergence in Clinical Cases, edited by Nolman Saltzman, John Norcross, Bruner & Mazel, New York.
22. (1989) Violence - A Manifestation of Social Pathology: In Self image, Identity and Nationality. Inst. of Adv. Studies, Shimla.
23. (1989) Health Aspects and Problems of Coastal Zone. In Coastal Zone Management in India. Eds., Dwivedi, S.N. Bhatt, V. S. and Chaturvedi, P Ind. Asso. for Advancement of Science, N. Delhi.
24. (1988) Health Aspects of Island Development. In Island Development - Technology Options. Eds. Dwivedi, S. N. and Chaturvedi, P., Ind. Asto. for Advancement of Science, New Delhi.
25. (1987) The Indian Perspective on Depression. In: Affective Disorders - Recent Research and Related Developments Eds. Channabasavanna, S. M. & Saleem A.Shah, NIMHANS Bangalore.
26. (1984) Organizing Mental Health Services in India. In: Psychiatry in India. Eds. Alan De Sousa and D. A. De Sousa, McGraw Hill publication, Bombay.
27. (1981) Alcoholism. In: Text Book of Psychiatry. Ministry of Education, Government of India, (Hindi).
28. (1980) Personality Disorders: In: Textbook of Medicine, Association of Physicians of India, 3rd Ed. Bombay
29. (1980) A Prospective Study of Suicide prone and Attempted Suicides in Goa. In: Depressive Illness. Eds. A Venkoba Rao and S Parvath Devi, Madurai.
30. (1979) Abba de Faria Founder of Hypnosis. In: Hypnosis 79 Elsevier, Amsterdam.
Research Papers Published in Scientific Journals-
1. Sharma SD. (1961) An Anthropological study of infectious fever. Lok Vigyan, August, 28-32.
2. Sharma SD. (1962) Medical Education in India, Intermedica, IV (1) 11, London.
3. Sharma SD, Bhaskaran K. (1964a) Autogenic training - A New psychophysiological form of treatment in Psychiatry. Medical Digest, May, 259.
4. Sharma SD, Bhaskaran K. (1964b) Behaviour Therapy. J. Ind. Med. Assoc., 43(7): 331-34.
5. Sharma SD. (1966) Motivation and Morale in Administration. Indian J. of Psychiat (special supplement) VIII(4): 37-39.
6. Sharma SD and Bhaskaran K. (1966a) Psychiatric Emergencies in General Practice. Raj. Med J VI(1): 18-27.
7. Sharma SD (1966b) Psychiatric Rehabilitation and the General Practitioner. The Antiseptic, 4, 1-7.
8. Sharma SD, Bhaskaran K and Verma LP (1966c) Use of Tolbutamide in Hypoglycemic Sub-coma Treatment. Indian J Psychiat. VIII(2): 131-38.
9. Sharma SD (1968) Psychosocial Factors in Fertility Control. Ind. J. Psychiat. X(1): 38-39.
10. Sharma SD (1969) Psychiatric Unit in a Teaching General Hospital - A Functional Analysis. The Clinician, 33(4).
11. Sharma SD (1970) Management of Common Psychiatric Emergencies in General Practice. The Clinician, 34(3), 35-37.
12. Sharma SD, Shah PD, Acharya PB. (1970) Urinary 17-Hydrooxycorticosteroids Levels and urine Electrolytes in Depression. Diseases of Nervous System, 31(5): 343-47.
13. Sharma SD (1971) Management of Terminally ill and dying patients in General Practice, pp. 73-75.
14. Sharma SD (1971) Inpatient Psychiatry in a Teaching General Hospital. World J. of Psychosynthesis, 3(3): 67-71.
15. Khurana AD, Sharma SD (1971) Treatment of Anxious Patients with Nealbarbitone (Censedal). The Antiseptic, 68(5): 3-7.
16. Sharma SD, Sinari VP (1971) Pink spot in the Urine and C.S.F. of Schizophrenics. Diseases of Nervous System 32(12): 831-34.
17. Sharma SD (1972) Study of Clinical Effects Polarization of Brain ill Depressive Illness. Bulletin, 2(2): 8-9.
18. Sharma SD (1972) Problems and Perspectives Medical Education. Indian J Med Edu. 11(2-); 1-3.
19. Sharma SD (1972) Psychiatry in General Practice Editorial. The Clinician 36(1): 1.
20. Sharma SD (1972) Effect of Tolbutamide on Appetite and Weight: Gain in Psychiatric Patients. The Clinician 36(7): 282-86.
21. Sharma SD, Sukerkar NV (1972) A new method of Inducing Restorative Sleep by Electrotherapeutic Sleep. The Clinician, 36(1): 10-13.
22. Sharma SD, Gajwani AK (1973) Predinisolone Induced Depression. J. of Assoc. of Physicians of India 21(10): 909-910.
23. Gajwani AK, Sharma SD (1973) Diagnosis and Management of Depression in General practice. The Clinician, 37(4): 140-44.
24. Sharma SD (1974) Use of Methaqualone in Sleep Disorder. Clinician 38: 461-64.
25. Sharma SD (1974) Medical Termination of Pregnancy the Psychological Aspects. Goa Med. ColI. J. 11: 5-8.
26. Sharma SD, (1974) Abbe de Faria – First to Explain Hypnotism. Indian J Psychiat 16: 307-11.
27. Sharma SD, Rao C. (1974) Personality Factors and Adjustment Patterns of Peptic Ulcer patients in India. Psychosomatics 15(3):139-142.
28. Sharma SD, Sukerkar NV (1974) Pimozide – An Open Study. Intl. J of Med Res, 2: 306.
29. Sharma SD, Gajwani AK, Sukerkar NV (1974) Trifluperidol-induced lactation. Canadian Psychiat Assoc J 19: 99-102.
30. Sharma SD (1975) The Fourth World Conference on Medical Education in Retrospect. J Ind Med Edn 14(1): 1-6.
31. Sharma SD, Sinari VP (1975) Chromatographic Behaviour of 3.4 Dimethoxy-phenylethylamine in the C.S.F. The Clinician 39(12): 465-68.
32. Sharma SD et al (1976) A double blind study of Pimozide in Chronic Schizophrenaia. Indian J Psychiat 18: 34-37.
33. Sharma SD (1976) Dehydro-emetine Induced Depression. Indian J Med Sci. 30(7): 239-40.
34. Sharma SD, Nandkumar VK (1977) A comparison of Divided and Single Dose Regime of Dothiepin and its Effectiveness. Indian J Psychiat, 19(2): 92-100.
35. Sharma SD, Hussain SE (1977) Duration of Stay of psychiatric Impatiens in General and Mental Hospital Settings. Indian J Psychiat 19(2): 25-31.
36. Sharma SD (1978) The Therapeutic Effectiveness of Diazepam Parenteral diazepam in Acute Alcoholic Withdrawals. Asian Arch. of Anaesth. &, Resusc. 8(2): 53-60.
37. Sharma SD (1978) Techniques of Evaluation in Medical Education. Indian J Med .Edu., 17(1-2): 20.
38. Sharma SD (1978) Drugs and Youth. Everyman’s Science 12(6): 181-86.
39. Sharma SD (1978) Dehydro-emetine Induced Depression. Toxicological Abstracts 105-XI : 17.
40. Sharma SD, Gopalakrishna (1978) Suicide - A Retrospective study in a Culturally Distinct Community in India. IntI. J of Social Psychiat 24: 13-18.
41. Sharma SD (1979) Depression (Part 1) Prevalence and Classification. The Medical Times IX(12): 4-6.
42. Sharma SD (1979) Pattern of Postgraduate Training of Psychiatry in India. Bull Royal Coll. of Psychiatrists, London.
43. Sharma SD (1979) Sleep and Dream. Everyman’s Science XIV(1): 14-18.
44. Sharma SD (1980) Depression (Part 2) - Clinical Feature and Course. The medical Times X(1), 4-7.
45. Sharma SD (1980) Anxiety States (I). The Medical Times X: 10.
46. Sharma SD (1980) Anxiety States (II). The Medical Times X: 11.
47. Sharma SD (1980) Lithium Induced Goitre. The Clinician 44(1).
48. Sharma SD (1980) A Double Blind Clinical Evaluation of Nomifensine, a new Dopaminergic Antidepressant. Current Therapeutic Research 27(2): 157-63.
49. Sharma SD, Hegde R (1980) Therapeutic Efficacy of Doxepin in Divided and Single Dose Regime. Indian J Pschiat 22(3):
50. Sharma SD, Nandkumar VK (1980) An Evaluation of Clinical Application of Echoencephalography in Neuro-psychiatric patients. J Assoc of Phys India 28(10: 331-36.
51. Sharma SD, Nandkumar VK (1980) Personality Structure and Adjustment pattern in Bronchial Asthma Acta Psychiat Scand 61: 82-88.
52. Sharma SD (1981) Dothiepin and its Therapeutic Efficacy. J Asso of Phys India 39(5): 45.
53. Sharma SD (1981) A Double-Blind Comparison of Dothiepin and Amitriptyline in the Treatment of Depression with Anxiety. J Assoc Phys India 29(9):
54. Sharma SD, Nandkumar VK (1981) Some Psychological Concomitants of Bronchial Asthma. J of Asso Phys India, 29(5): 373-78.
55. Sharma SD, Sinari VP (1981) Pattern of Excretion of 17-·Ketosteroids in Psychiatric Disorders. J Ind Med Assn, 76(5): 77-79.
56. Sharma SD, Nandkumar VK, Mazumdar M (1981) Luria’s Neuropsychological Investigation in Organic Brain Syndrome - A Pilot Study. Acta Psychiat Scand. 699: 1-6.
57. Sharma SD (1982) Organizing Mental Health Services in India - Psychiatry in India, Edited by D’SOUZA, Allen McGraw Hill Publication.
58. Sharma SD (1982) Organization and Implementation of Educational Programme - Objective for Primary Health Care. Indian J of Med Edn, 21(1): 1-5.
59. Sharma SD (1983) Migration, Coping and Mental Health. Bull Indian Branch of World Assoc for Dynamic Psychiat 1(1): 7-10.
60. Sharma SD (1983) Designing of Learning Experiences in Hospital and Community Setup. Indian J Med Edn. 22(3): 1-6.
61. Sharma SD (1983) Yoga Therapy and Autogenic Training - A Comparative Study. Intl. J Eclec Psychotherapy 2(3).
62. Sharma SD, Kala AK (1983) Training Primary Care Physicians in Mental Health – A premise for priority. Am J Social Psychiatry, Spring.
63. Koshy V, Sharma SD (1984) Standardization of Cattle’s Infant Intelligence Scale in India. Indian J Psychiat, 26(4): 327-30.
64. Sharma SD, Verma LP (1984) History of Mental Hospitals in Indian Subcontinent. Indian J Pychiat. 26(4): 295-300.
65. Sharma SD (1984) General Hospital Psychiatry and Undergraduate Medical Education. Indian J Psychiat 26(3): 259-63.
66. Sharma SD (1985) Poverty, Health and Quality of life. Indian J Psychlat. 27(1).
67. Sharma SD (1985) Mental Tension and Its Prevention. Swasth Hind 1: 9-11.
68. Sharma SD (1985) Mass Murder by Women. Ind. J. Crimin. 13(1), 12-15.
69. Sharma SD, Choudhary K, Sonthlia AIka (1986c) Antarctica: A Psychiatric Perspective. Transcultural Psychiatric Research Review 23: 134-136. Montréal.
70. Sharma SD, Davis ARB (1986) Feminity and Menstrual Conflict. J Ind Soc Psychosom Obst & Gynea 7(1), 63-71.
71. Sharma SD, Davis ARB (1986) Impact of Social Change on Mental Health in India. Social Change 16(2-3): 104-111.
72. Weiss Mitchell G, Sharma SD, Gaur RK, Sharma JS, Desai A, Doongaji DR (1986) Traditional Concepts of Mental Disorders among Indian Psychiatric Patients. Soc Sc Med. 23(4): 379-86 London.
73. Sharma SD (1987) Impact of Social Change on Mental Health. Indian J Social Psychiat 3(1-2): 3-17.
74. Sharma SD, Kurian C (1987) The Length of stay of Psychiatric Inpatients. Indian J Psychiat, 29(4): 315-23.
75. Lal R, Sharma SD (1987) Minor Physical Anomalies in Schizophrenia. Indian J Psychiat. 29(2): 119-22.
76. Sharma SD, (1988) Violence Among Psychiatric Patients and Criminals. Indian J Psychiat. 30(4): 409-13.
77. Saltzma HN, Sharma SD (1988) Testing the Lows, J Int & EC Psychotherapy 7(4): 453-465.
78. Sharma SD (1988) Penfluridol in the treatment of Schizophrenics. Indian J Psychiat, 30(4): 405-8.
79. Sharma SD (1988) Psychosocial problems in Primary Health Care. Indian J Psychiat. 30(1): 23-31.
80. Nizamie SH, Sharma SD (1988) Electrocardiographic Changes in Chronic Schizophrenic Patients. Indian J Psychiat. 30(2):183-88.
81. Nizamie SH, Nizamie A, Borde, Sharma S (1988) Mania following head injury: Case reports and neuropsychological findings. Acta Psychiat Scand. 77, 637-39.
82. Venkoba Rao, et al, Sharma SD (1989) Cognitive Disorder and Depression. Indian J Psychiat. 31(3), 201-7.
83. Sharma SD (1989) Mental Health: What an Individual and Community can Do? Swasth Hind, XXXIII (3-4), 81-82.
84. Choudhary K, Sharma SD, Verma SK (1989) Manual for C.I.P. Time Perception Scale. National Psychological Corpn., 1-17.
85. Sharma SD (1990) Curriculum for Under-Graduate Medical Students in Geriatric Medicine In: Curriculum planning in Geriatric Medicine. Edited by GG Mansha Ramani, Associated Publishing House, New Delhi pp 139-142.
86. Sharma SD (1991) Medical Education and Social Responsibility. Inquiries driven strategies for innovation in Medical Education in India. SEARO-WHO Project, AIIMS, New Delhi pp 56-59.
87. Sharma SD (1991) Indian Mental Health Act Critical Appraisal. International Bulletin of Law and Mental Health, Canada.
88. Sharma SD (1992) Changing scene of Psychiatry in India in reflection about Indian psychiatry. IPS Publication, New Delhi.
89. Sharma SD, Kumar S (1992) Comparative evaluation of Dothiepin and Nitroxazepine in Depression. Indian J Clin practice 3(3): 51-54.
90. Chaudhary K, Sharma SD (1992) Time Perception in Tuberculosis Patient. Indian J Tuberculosis.
91. Sharma S. (2006) Globalizaion and Diversity: Emerging Challenges and Opportunities in the Field of Health and Mental Health for Developing Countries in Japanese Bulletin of Social Psychiatry Vol. 14, Supplement 2006, page 3-9.
92. Sharma S. (2009) Spirituality, Yoga, Religion and Mental Health. Romanian Journal of Psychiatry, 2009; 11(4): 137-141.
93. Sharma S. (2009) Social and Family Factors as Predictors of Drug Abuse in Juveniles. Poster at the Hyatt Regency Washington, Washington DC, May 26th 2009
94. Sharma S. (2010) Family, Culture and Mental Health. Indian Psychiatric Society, Souvenir, Jaipur, Dec. 3, 2010.
95. Sharma S. (2010) History of Indian Psychiatric Society. Indian Journal of Psychiatry, Special Issue Jan 2010.
96. Sharma S. (2010) Postgraduate Training in Psychiatry in India. Indian Journal of Psychiatry, January 2010.
97. Sharma S. (2010) Changing Trends of Inhalant Abuse in Juveniles in India. Poster Presentation NIDA 2010, Scotsdale, Phoenix, Arizona, June 11-15, 2010.
98. Sharma S, Sharma G. (2011) Increasing Drug Abuse Problems in Juveniles in India and Opportunities for Intervention. NIDA International Forum June 20, 2011.
99. Sharma S. (2011) Identity, Culture in An Era of Globalization. Dynamic Psychiatry, Germany Nov. 2011.
100. Sharma S, Lal R. (2011) Inhalant Misuse Among Indian Children. E-publication – Informa Healthcare, Substance Use & Misuse, Vol. 46 No. s1, 2011.
101. Sharma S. (2012) Relevance of Social Psychiatry in 21st Century. WASP News Letter, Nov. 2012.
102. Sharma S. Sharma G. (2012) Globalization Challenges and Opportunities in the field of Health and Public Health. International Medical Journal, Japan Vol. 19, No. 4, December 2012.
103. Sharma S. Can positive psychotherapy meet the basic principles of effectiveness as outlined by Grawe? Reappraised. International Journal of Psychotherapy, 17(1), 42-52, 2013.
104. Sharma S. Abba de Faria - The first to explain Hypnotism. International Journal for Transformation of Consciousness, Feb. 15, 2014.
NOTE: Research papers published in the field of Psychiatry, Psychopharmacology, Psychosomatic medicine, Medical Education Social Psychiatry and Ocean psychiatry, Agricultural Sciences etc published in the various International and National Scientific- Journals in the field.
April 21, 2016